If we can make it there: NHI recruits NYC
The upcoming slate of 2018 summer programs for the National Hispanic Institute is likely to include more students from the New York City metro area, thanks to Zachary Gonzalez’s efforts over the last month.
Gonzalez, NHI’s Assistant Vice President, has spearheaded NHI’s efforts to prioritize recruiting within NYC, as well as into New Jersey and into the upstate New York region served well by the University of Rochester, the host institution for NHI’s New York LDZ program. In the last month, on two separate trips to NYC, Gonzalez met with and presented to more than 20 schools, and also met with the Archdiocese of New York to strengthen NHI’s ties with the Archdiocese’s Catholic schools. NHI Executive Vice President Nicole Nieto also traveled out to NYC to meet with Archdiocese representatives and participate in a community-wide event.
“This is an energetic community that’s bound to link together incredible and hard working NHI alumni,” Gonzalez said. “NHI could be building New York City every day, especially as the largest community in the United States. There’s opportunity staring at you every block.”
Students from throughout the New York City metro area will begin applying October 31st for their candidacy to 2018 programs. Schools and students will continue enrolling throughout the Fall, which could yield NHI’s highest Northeast membership in the last five years.
“At the end of the day, community development has nothing to do with us developing communities, but communities developing themselves,” added former Tip of Texas Head Coach Jorge Lee, currently an undergraduate at Columbia University, and one of the newest additions to a growing network of NHI alumni in NYC.
Schools welcoming NHI for the September and October visits included:
- Academy of Mount St. Ursula (Bronx, NY)
- Achievement First New York Schools (Brooklyn, NY)
- All Hallows High School (Bronx, NY)
- Archbishop Molloy High School (Queens, NY)
- Archbishop Stepinac High School (White Plains, NY)
- Baruch College Campus (New York, NY)
- Bishop Loughlin Memorial High School (Brooklyn, NY)
- Bronx High School for Science (Bronx, NY)
- Brooklyn Latin School (Brooklyn, NY)
- Cardinal Hayes High School (Bronx, NY)
- Cristo Rey Brooklyn (Brooklyn, NY)
- Democracy Prep Public Schools (New York, NY)
- Fordham Preparatory (Bronx, NY)
- Harlem Village Academy (New York, NY)
- KIPP NYC College Prep (New York, NY)
- La Salle Academy (New York, NY)
- Mount St. Michael Academy (Bronx, NY)
- Mount Vernon High School (Mount Vernon, New York)
- New Rochelle High School (New Rochelle, New York)
- Saint Vincent Ferrer High School (New York, NY)
- St. Jean Baptiste High School (New York, NY)
- Xaverian High School (Brooklyn, NY)
For more information on joining our New York campaign, please contact Zachary Gonzalez.